Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Desbok


Being a large, sturdy pack animal bred mostly for caravan travel along dangerous mountain roads, desboks are good-natured and docile, if a bit dim-witted.

This creature concept originally comes from a drawing I did some seven or eight years ago and stumbled across in a sketchbook while trying to brainstorm ideas for sculptures. He's part of a "bestiary" of sorts I have been working on for some time.

The sculpture itself was completed about two years ago, one of my earliest--as well as being the first with a proper armature stand and aluminum wire. Prior to this one I had been making free-standing sculpts with coat hangers for armatures which, I can tell you, is not the best idea. At the time I also did not have the giant box of sculpting tools I have now, and all the detail was accomplished with a toothpick and a bit of bent wire.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. A very intriguing and scary monster. Very imaginative and well sculpted.

    ReplyDelete