Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Painted Turtle!

GOOD LORD!!


It's done!! IT'S DONE!!!

I actually had completed "Stumpy's" paint job before the holiday madness, but I only now got around to photographing and editing photos of him.

Tree bark is, quite possibly, more frustrating to paint than it is to sculpt. Trees are an odd sort of non-colour, not quite brown, or grey, or tan, and old tree stumps have all sorts of patches of greens and browns and blacks from the various things growing on them. After some excessive cursing and perhaps more layers of paint than I care to admit, I think I got something close.






Now that my Stump Tortoise is finished, it is ONWARD to more sculpting madness!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work! What are the dimensions of Stumpy?
    Are you going to sell him?
    Look forward to seeing more of your work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's only about 6 inches tall and 6 inches long, but he's pretty hefty. I hadn't really thought about selling this one, but I've got a few other designs in the works featuring Stump Tortoises I plan on molding/casting (including a baby one, and a planter/flower pot design)

      Thanks for checking out my work!

      Delete