Sunday, May 22, 2011

Holy hail, Batman!


Not snow; hail. Also, that stream is my sidewalk.
We had the single most torrential hailstorm a few days ago. Neither my parents nor grandparents could remember ever seeing hail this thick, ever, in their lifetimes. There was so much of it that the next day, there were still piles of it in areas where it had yet to melt off. Most were pea-to-marble sized.

My art has been on hiatus since then due to the fact that over seven gallons of water leaked (read: gushed) through my bedroom ceiling when the roof was damaged, and I had to do some emergency damage control and everything is in total disarray. Fortunately Roof Guy fixed it today, so now it comes down Cleaning Up. And being as there is a giant, vaugely Australia-shaped hole in my ceiling where the plaster came down, and my carpet smells like rotten roof water (I think there are probably some squirrel corpses up there as well) that will be a Not Very Fun Process. But the artings will return as soon as I can squeeze some workspace in amongst the clutter.

But you know, I'm not really complaining; a leaky roof is only a minor inconvenience to, say, the ridiculous number of tornadoes that have been hitting areas further south and turning whole towns into splinters. Or the massive flooding along the Mississippi river. Or earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, etc. We have been having a massive amount of thunderstorms and torrential rainstorms here lately, way more than is normal for this time of year. 

Mother Nature seems to have flipped her lid lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment